THE FAST AND EASY WAY TO SAVE £££££'S ON YOUR PET INSURANCE
At Southend Dog Training, we know that a healthy pet is a happy pet. Dogs, in particular, get stressed when they’re injured, and often, they communicate that by being destructive or noisy. That’s why we’ve partnered with Quotezone to help you find a policy that will cover the cost of vet bills so you never have to worry.
DO YOU NEED PET INSURANCE? WE THINK SO!
Insurance isn’t a legal requirement for pet owners, so you might think it’s not necessary. The premiums you pay monthly can seem expensive, and if you don’t know what you’re looking for, you could take out the wrong policy that doesn’t cover everything you need.
Still, it’s worth the money to ensure that your pet is covered in case they get hurt. Just because you have healthy pets right today doesn’t mean they won’t get ill at some point in the future. Whether it’s an accident or an infection, if something happens, you need to be prepared. It can cost thousands of pounds just for a minor operation, so no amount of saving up will come close to covering the costs that pet insurance can.
Most pet insurance policies cover the cost of veterinary treatment for your pet when they are ill up to a specific amount, usually tens of thousands of pounds or more. To get the best policy at the right cost, put your details in now.
PET INSURANCE JARGON: WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
The first thing you’ll notice when you start looking for pet insurance cover online is how many different names there are for each type of policy. Then there are the add-ons, the caveats, and all the rest!
With so many pet insurance policies to choose from and terms used, it can be tough for you to find the right option. Some of the most common types of pet insurance include:
- Lifetime Pet Insurance: Lifetime cover looks after your dog year after year for the rest of its life, as long as you keep paying the premiums. The cost includes preventative treatment and ongoing medication fees for illnesses your pet suffers from. It can be expensive, but a lifetime policy offers comprehensive cover for a range of issues, including accidental injury.
- Time-Limited Cover: A time-limited policy will cover illnesses for a specific amount of time following diagnosis, usually a year. Once this time has elapsed, the issue will be determined as a pre-existing condition and will no longer be covered.
- Pre-Existing Conditions Cover: If you took on a rescue dog or a puppy that’s already been treated for illness, this isn’t usually covered by your insurance, but it is possible to get a policy that will cover pre-existing conditions. You’ll usually pay more, but it’ll be worth it, especially if their pre-existing medical conditions are expensive to treat.
- Multi-Pet Insurance: For those with more than one pet, multi-pet insurance can be a great way to save money on vet fees. Some insurers will even cover different species, for example, if you have cats and dogs.
- Lost Pet Insurance: Some policies will pay advertising and reward costs if your pet is missing. This means you can find them quicker and won’t have to pay out of pocket to be reunited.
- Dental Cover: Check with your pet insurer if dental cover is added as standard or if you need to add it to your policy. This will ensure that your dog’s teeth are cared for, which is particularly important for older pets.
- Third-Party Liability Cover: Third-party cover will pay any damage or legal costs incurred if your pet causes damage in a public place. This can be important for those with breeds categorised as dangerous dogs or a pet that is highly destructive.
- Pet Cremation And Burial Insurance: If you want your insurer to pay for cremation costs when your dog dies, you need to take out a specific policy for this. Most pet insurance policy options don’t pay for euthanasia, burial or cremation, but you can add this to your policy.
It’s a common misconception that pet insurers tend to avoid paying out when you make a claim. Often, the issue is that you’re not covered, not that they don’t want to help. By picking the right policy, you can ensure you’re covered when you need it most.
To make it easier to find the right dog insurance, Quotezone’s handy calculator allows you to put in everything you want and will find you the right option.
PAY LESS FOR PET INSURANCE: SDT'S TOP TIPS
No one wants to pay over the odds for pet insurance, but you also don’t want to find yourself stuck at the vets with a huge bill to pay. So, you need to find a policy that gives you the maximum benefit for the best possible cost.
When choosing a dog insurance policy for your pack, you need to think about how much cover you need and how much you’re willing to pay, both monthly for the premium and in treatment costs at the vet.
If you want lower monthly insurance costs, choose accident-only pet insurance or a policy that has a higher excess.
For cheaper veterinary fees but a higher premium, go for the most comprehensive pet insurance you can find.
Either way, you want to choose the lowest possible cost, so compare all the options using our online comparison tool.
Southend Dog Training Ltd (trading as ‘SouthendDogTraining.co.uk’) is an introducer appointed representative (IAR) of Seopa Ltd.